We wanted comfort food and we wanted meat pie. The first homemade chicken pot pie we’ve ever had is what happened. We’re feeling fat and sassy.
Goo Ingredients (adapted from The Pioneer Woman)
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, uncooked and cubed
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 4 yukon potatoes, cubed (or about 1 russet potato)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- splash of white wine
- 1/4 cup half-and-half or heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp tumeric
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp parsley flakes, or to taste
- dash of cayenne pepper
Pie Crust Ingredients
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, cold
- ~8 tbsp cold water
How to Make the Pie Crust
- Combine flour and salt in a food processor.
- Cut butter into cubes and process with the dry mixture until large crumbs form.
- Slowly add water until soft dough forms.
- Press out onto flat surface as far as possible.
- Fold dough in half, cut dough slab into 2 equal pieces, and roll out both pieces to larger than the size of your dish.
- Make the pie crust, place one rolled-out piece in an 8- or 9-inch dish. Set the other piece aside.
- Place chicken in a saucepan and fill with water, just enough to cover the chicken. Boil for 15 minutes.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium-high heat, then add the onions, garlic, carrots, and celery. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add chicken and flour, stirring until combined. Let cook about 1 minute.
- Add chicken stock and wine. Stir until starts to thicken.
- Add turmeric, thyme, parsley flakes and cayenne pepper. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir until combined.
- Add cream and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Pour mixture into pie dough-lined dish.
- Place other dough piece on top of dish, folding under the bottom edges and pressing to seal.
- Cut small vents into the top crust.
- Brush top crust with an egg- or milk-wash if desired.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until filling is bubbly.
p.s. This makes a killer leftover.