FINALLY, a costume post! I have so many costumes tucked away and not really any desire to drag them out. That’s really my fault; I should be working for my readers, but life and work happens a lot. [lame, i know] I swear I’m working on bringing you more doom.
What will you be for Halloween? This year’s was thrown together from costumes from previous years. I did have to make a scythe and do some makeup…
It’s kind of hard to see, but there are actually a lot of layers going on here.
Costume Parts (somewhat inside to outside):
- Flowy black dress
- Black corset
- Black leggings
- Knee-high black boots
- Black hooded robe
- Black rope/cord
Scythe Parts (*from Home Depot):
- Closet dowel*
- Brown twine (the cheapest there was)*
- Black duct tape*
- Aluminum tape (in the plumbing section)*
- Wire coat hanger
- Poster board
How to make the Scythe:
- Wrap the dowel with the twine in a criss-crossing pattern (be creative!) and secure tightly.
- Wrap the dowel with black duct tape (make sure to put a few squares of tape on the top and bottom so the dowel won’t scratch the floor).
- Cut out a blade shape in two pieces of poster board.
- Drill two holes near one end of the dowel (make sure they’re close enough together to be hidden by the poster board blade.
- Twist up the hanger to go through both holes such that the ends can be bend back and taped to the dowel. Tape them well.
- Tape the blade to the wire hanger such that the hanger is hidden inside the two pieces of poster board.
- Go crazy with the aluminum tape!
- For some extra goodness, I etched some designs in the aluminum.
I apologize for not taking pictures, but I was making it up as I went along and finished it just hours before the party I went to. Lesson learned: always take pictures of the process, you never know when you might want to use them!
I copied the makeup based on my online and in-store searches for skull makeup. A Google search will provide you with a multitude of possibilities!